Friday, May 11, 2007

Bad habits are hard to break

I am a self taught from books knitter. I have only taken one class and that was just last month. So in the 4.5 years I have been knitting, I have picked up things that others might consider bad habits. Those don't bother me. What does, however, get to me are the things that I learned plain wrong. The first time I ever knit anything with a slipped stitch, the pattern called for it to be slipped knitwise. So for all these year I have always slipped knitwise. Recently I learned that you should always slip purlwise unless you are instructed otherwise. But since I learned it the other way, I keep doing it WRONG WRONG WRONG! grrrrr. I keep fixing it and then I will do it right for a bit, then go back to doing it wrong.

Additionally, tonight I decided that I didn't really need to read that pattern. *sigh* I am knitting my first pair of jaywalkers and when I got to the heel flap I did a knit/purl instead of a S1K1/purl row. so it will be weird. I didn't realize that it was wrong until I was literally turning the heel, and I decided it would make mine different. Besides I am sure I will knit more than one pair of these since I am in love with the pattern. I finally understand what all the fuss is about. I guess I could take a picture of them in progress, but really, I am lazy.

Tomorrow I am taking a spinning class. woohoo.

2 comments:

Virtuous said...

Yes take pics!!!!

I hate trying to break bad habits too!

Check BOTH of your e-mail accounts I just sent you a response for the code you asked about.

Virtuous said...

So glad you got the status bars up and working for ya! :o)